Article I – Name
Silver Mesa Elementary School Community Council (SCC)
Article II – Laws
All Utah School Community Councils function under the laws and statues governing SCCs as found on the official state website. http://www.schoollandtrust.org/
Canyons School District Policy
- Section: K-School Community-Home Relations; School Community Councils; File No.KCE
Article III – Standing Rules
- Elections for SCC representatives will be held prior to the September SCC meeting, but after the start of school
- Notification of available SCC parent member seats, election dates and procedure for declaring candidacy for the SCC will be given with the registration information from Silver Mesa Elementary.
- If there are more candidates than available seats, two alternatives will be selected from the remaining candidates in the order of number of votes They will be appointed as voting members of the council if a seat is vacated prior to the next election.
- Membership: The number of School Community Council members will be limited to 7 parent representatives and 5 school employee members. This number adheres to laws.
- Members, parent and employee, have an expectation of attendance.
- If for some reason a member cannot attend a scheduled meeting, notification should be given to the Chair prior to the meeting by email or written notice; chair will read during meeting to be included in the notes
- If a SCC member provides a written resignation, the respective group (parent or employee) will appoint a If alternate members were selected, the SCC will ratify their appointment to the vacated seat.
- If no alternatives are available to serve, the SCC may seek out parents or school employees to be
- A quorum is defined as a majority of members with the stipulation that the majority must follow the legal composition of the council and have, at minimum, one more parent member than employee member present to A quorum must be present in order for voting to be valid.
- The majority of the council must approve the canceling and/or calling of additional The Silver Mesa Elementary SCC will meet a minimum of 4 times a year.
- School Community Councils are subject to Open Meetings Law, Utah Code Title 52, Chapter 4, Section 207; electronic meetings will comply with the law and be publicly noticed as is any public meeting by this body.
- Subcommittees may be established or dissolved by a majority vote of the council. Parent members may serve on one or more sub-committees.
- Each subcommittee will be chaired or co-chaired by at least one elected school community council member, which will report regularly to the SCC on the committee’s progress
- Additional community members, both employee and parent, that are not elected SCC members may serve on any subcommittee with the approval of the SCC
- All official voting will be conducted using Robert’s Rules of Order and follow the conduct guidelines listed below:
- Meetings will begin on time, use time wisely and finish on time, and stay focused on the agenda
- Members and guests will come prepared to participate and avoid side conversations during the meeting.
- Respect for others in verbal and non-verbal communication will be shown at all times
- Avoid disruptions by silencing cell phones and taking necessary calls or conversations out of the room during meetings
- SCC members will receive training on basic elements and procedures of Robert’s Rules of Order
- Officers will be elected by the SCC at the September meeting each school The current Chair will serve through the summer months, assist with SCC elections, conduct September meeting and assist the new leadership in the transition even if they no longer have a student at Silver Mesa. Leadership positions include:
- Chair: Creates agendas and conducts Other duties as outlined in Canyons District policy
- Vice-Chair: Works with the Chair and conducts the meeting in the case of the Chair’s absence. Will be elected from either the parent or school employee group which is not represented by the Chair
- Co-Chairs may be elected as long as at least one of them is a parent If cochairs are elected, the position of Vice-Chair is not necessary.
- Secretary: Takes notes at the meeting and creates minutes for approval by the Review minutes at the beginning of each meeting. Is also responsible for recording the meeting according to the Open Meeting regulations
- PTA Liaison: May be an elected parent member of the committee, or an ex-offico non voting member
- Guests may share appropriate input on subjects that fall under the SCC A patron may bring a topic to the SCC by contacting the Chair at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting and asking to be added to the agenda. The SCC may invite any person/group to make a presentation on issues pertinent to the role of the SCC. The items that are appropriate for discussion by School Community Councils include, but not limited to:
- School Improvement Plan.
- School LAND Trust Plan.
- Assistance in the development of the Staff Professional Development Plan
- Academic needs of the school, with the direction to determine the greatest academic need of
the school for LAND Trust Plan expenditures.
- Advise and make recommendations regarding school programs and issues relating to the
community environment for students.
- Parent/School communication and involvement.
- Items not to be discussed by the School Community Council include:
- Any personnel issues
- Individual student information
- These Bylaws will be posted on the SCC page of the school website. Each SCC member will read and agree to
abide by the Bylaws as signified on their declaration of candidacy and at the beginning of each school year.