Congratulations to 4th Grade on an awesome program. They presented to our younger grades today. They’ll do it again for the older grades later this week and then one more time for parents this Friday. You are in for a treat!
Are you planning to volunteer for a field trip or other end-of-year activity? Canyons School District requires all volunteers to get a background check. If you wait until you arrive at the school ready to volunteer, you may be too late, leaving the class or activity short-staffed. Please take care of this ahead of time. We love our volunteers and never want to turn anyone away. Thanks! https://volunteer.canyonsdistrict.org/volunteersystem/volunteer/
With spring here and summer just around the corner, now is a good time to talk with your children about safety around roads. At the end of this email is a list of safety hints you can review at home for both children and adults.
Kindness Is Cool
Here are some more examples of kindness happening at our school these past couple of weeks. We have the best students!
Evie Wallace (1st grade) – helped put white boards away
Matthew Salcedo Ramirez (3rd grade) – helping classmates with iPads
David Norton (Kindergarten) – drawing a picture for a friend
Abby Egan (Kindergarten) – helping a friend figure out his iPad
Emma Montgomery (2nd grade) – giving a new student her whiteboard marker because he lost his own marker
Olivia Anderson (2nd grade) – helping a new student learn the rules and procedures in the classroom
School Website: https://silvermesa.canyonsdistrict.org/
Parent Volunteer application link: https://volunteer.canyonsdistrict.org/volunteersystem/volunteer/
Lunch Menus: https://canyonsdistrict.nutrislice.com/menu/silver-mesa/lunch/2022-04-01
Next PTA General Board Meeting- May 3 12:30-1:30
Volunteer Luncheon- May 13 12:00-1:00
PTA Needs Assessment-
The Silver Mesa PTA is looking for feedback from the community. We would love to hear what you have to say about the programs and support that is offered. Thanks! Vote here
Volunteer of the Year: Vote–here
The Kindness Project
For the month of April, the PTA has been running The Kindness Project. We have kindness activities at lunchtime and in our kindergarten classes. We’d love your help! You can sign up to volunteer for our lunchtime/kinder activities here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E084DAAA72CA4FD0-thesilver1
Teacher Appreciation Week
Here is a list of the Activities we will be doing daily for Teacher Appreciation Week-https://silvermesapta.org/Image/Flyers/DE8AC501-.jpg
Teacher appreciation is coming up the first week of May (that is next week). One of the favorites of this week is decorating the door and walls around the school with posters thanking the employees of Silver Mesa. We have the teachers all assigned, but there are SO MANY others who help our children at Silver Mesa. Can you help? We would love your help!
Sign up on the link provided. The posters need to be done and hung up THIS COMING FRIDAY, April 29. All of the information is on the signup genius- Click here
Help us show Silver Mesa have much we love and appreciate them!
Blood Drive– May 6th 11:30-3:30
Sign up here
April 26th—2nd grade field trip to the Museum of Curiosity
April 27th—Kindergarten field trip to the zoo
April 29th—4th grade program for parents; 9:00 in the gym
May 2nd-13th—End-of-Year RISE testing for 3rd-5th grades
May 3rd—PTA General Board Meeting; 12:30-1:30
May 3rd-4th– End-of-Year Acadience testing for grades k-5th
May 4th—SCC meeting; 7:15am; Zoom link: https://canyonsdistrict-org.zoom.us/j/82999368357?pwd=UlFKYTdZeE1jNXVtc2Y3RHZNTkI2Zz09
May 5th—4th and 5th grades field trip to Hale Center Theater
May 6th—Blood Drive
May 10th—Classic Skating Night
May 13th—Volunteer Luncheon; Thanks for volunteering at Silver Mesa this year!
May 16th—Silver Mesa’s Musical Review for students (assembly during the day)
May 17th—Silver Mesa’s Musical Review for parents (an evening event for parents)
May 20th—Last day for kindergarten students; individual appointments will be scheduled for KEEP testing the following week.
May 23rd—Field Day
May 25th—Dance Festival performance for parents; 8:45-9:15 am; bring your lawn or camp chair
May 26th—Last day of school; dismissal at 12:20 pm
Have a great day!
Julie Fielding, Principal
Silver Mesa Elementary
Traveling to School Safety Tips
With the start of road construction season, Canyons District asks students, parents, and patrons to be extra vigilant around work sites and be on the lookout for young children walking to school. Please take a few minutes to discuss these safety tips at home with your families.
- Pedestrians should stick to sidewalks when possible and walk facing traffic. Before crossing the street or train tracks, even at a crosswalk or designated area, stop and look left and right.
- When biking or skateboarding to school, children should wear a helmet and understand traffic rules. They should come to a complete stop at crosswalks and walk their bike or skateboard across. Bikes and skateboards are not safe for use on train station platforms.
- Never dart out in front of a parked car.
- Avoid distractions. Do not bike, drive a motor vehicle, or cross a busy area while texting, talking on the phone or using headphones.
- Obey all traffic signals and signs, and never go around a lowered gate at railroad crossings.
- At train crossings: If lights are flashing or the gate is down, wait for the train to pass completely, the gates to lift and the lights to stop flashing before crossing. It is never okay to rush across and try to beat the train. Trains may be closer and faster than you think.
- Don’t be tempted to walk along the train tracks. It is dangerous and against the law to walk on the track and the land around it because it is private property.
- Drivers must always yield to pedestrians and should take extra care in school zones and at crosswalks.