Silver Mesa Elementary School Plan
July 23, 2020
Procedures to Mitigate the Risks
● Encourage students not to arrive before 8:00 (first bell rings at 8:15)
● Students will line up by class and grade level outside (lines will be spread out)
● Students will enter through grade level doors
● No playing on the playground before school starts
● Students will enter through the northeast cafeteria door
● Students will be assigned seating throughout the cafeteria
● Students will exit through the north door
● Desks will be arranged as far apart as possible to fit in the classroom space provided
● Students will be facing forward
● Teachers, staff, and students will wear face coverings at all times when physical distancing is not possible
● Carpet time and/or small group time will be less than 15 minutes at a time
● Traffic flow will be established to stay on the right side of the hallway
● Signage will be installed to direct the flow
● Schedules will be staggered to reduce numbers of students in the hallways at the same
● Main bathroom door will be propped open
● Signage will be used to show where to stand while waiting in line
● Training and signage will be utilized to show proper hand-washing technique.
● Students will be encouraged to use the restroom at any time during the day and not just at recess time
● Water fountains will be closed off except for the bottle filler fountains. Students will be provided water bottles to use while at school.
● Only one grade level will be in the lunchroom at one time to allow students to spread out
● We will utilize both gym and cafeteria space in order to spread out the tables
● Signage will be posted to show physical distancing while lining up
● Seats will be assigned by classrooms to support contact tracing
● There will be one door used for the entrance and another door for the exit.
● Students will go to Brain Boosters as a class rather than mixing up the students
● Playworks and Dance will be outside if weather permits; Technology and Library will push into classrooms
● No books will be checked out for the first few weeks, and library will provide media lessons or reading of stories in the classrooms
● Only one grade level will be on the playground at a time
● Students will wear face coverings if they are not 6 feet apart
● Two students at a time will be allowed into the building to use the restroom
● Teachers will train and consistently practice with students how to wash/sanitize hands, keep materials clean, how to walk to and from different areas, and how to stand and wait appropriately keeping 6 feet of physical distance
● Students will be provided with a face mask and lanyard to keep the mask from getting lost. Students may bring their own face covering if they wish to. Masks will need to be laundered regularly.
● Every student will have a specific device assigned only to them
● There will be regular cleaning and wiping down of devices
Large Gatherings–Assemblies, Back to School Night, etc.
● There will be no large group activities (This will be reassessed mid-year)
● Where possible, virtual activities will replace those events
● Back to School Night will be a pre-recorded link from teachers, staff, and PTA
● Volunteers will be limited at the start of the year as we adjust to new restrictions
● When volunteers are admitted, they will be required to have their temperature checked upon arrival and fill out a health checklist. They will also need to fill out a form recording who they have been in contact with during their volunteer time.
● No before or after school programs except Orchestra will occur for now. This will be reassessed at mid-year. (Computer Lab math and reading practice)
● Dual immersion classrooms that switch halfway through the day will clean/wipe down desks and chairs as they switch classes
● Students will be spaced at least six feet apart
● The teacher and students will wear face coverings
● There will be two separate areas to support students in the office–one for students who feel sick and one for students who have an injury.